July 2nd, 2008
April 23rd, 2008
The Replacements Talent Show Live
A very cool live performance of “Talent Show” by the Replacements at the “International Rock Awards.”
February 9th, 2008
Even the logo is inspiring…
From the Marin Independent Journal, How Grateful Dead came together again for Obama fundraiser.
January 25th, 2008
I’ve known hundreds of musicians over the years… finally one of them put out something decent.
November 29th, 2007
If you haven’t heard of it, Hulu is an online video site from several major TV and movie studios where they put entire television shows and movies. I signed up for the private beta a month or so ago and finally got my invite today and I love what I see.
There aren’t too many movies, Breakfast Club, Conan The Barbarian, Sideways to name a few, but they have a lot of TV shows, mostly from NBC. But they do have WKRP In Cincinnati.
I just want to test their embedded video option, like what you’ve seen from me with YouTube, with one of my favorite SNL skits from the last few years: Business Meeting With Rainn Wilson – I LOVE absurdity. Enjoy!
November 22nd, 2007
I was recently given a Samsung Blackjack for work (unlimited data, oh yes) and I have to say I am very happy with the phone. Of course, I’ve never used another “smart phone” but Windows Mobile doesn’t bother me and ActiveSync is your friend when you live out of MS Outlook. I bought a 2gig Micro SD card off of some website (meritline.com, maybe) for $20 shipped so it’s maxed out with storage (until 4gig MSD cards come out and are $20).
To boost download speeds, AT&T in Buffalo upgraded their wireless network from Edge to 3G so surfing the internet is nice. I use the browser-based version of Gmail to access my email and Google has really put a lot into it. I refuse to use Java-based apps on the phone, it’s like being on a crappy island, detached from society and the Gmail App for Windows Mobile doesn’t even seem to support my hosted domain email (I use wnymusic.com and not gmail.com for Gmail email). If that makes sense.
So, as far as decent Windows applications go on the Blackjack, you are limited, but I have found several that make the Blackjack a standalone computer when I’m away from my laptop.
- Yahoo! Go 2.0 – News, Maps, Weather, Flickr from Yahoo all in one place. A very slick application. The Flickr support is nice but when I last tried it, it could not access my storage card which is my default location for saving videos and pictures on the phone.
- vTap – With the 3G connection and an unlimited data plan in place, vTap is useful for accessing online videos. All sorts of video; I watched a mini documentary of some Russian woman stunt pilot.
- SiriusWM5 – As a hardcore Sirius Satellite Radio listener, this is one of the coolest apps on my phone. It basically gets you logged in to your online Sirius account and then streams radio to Windows Media Player. A solid app.
- Palringo – FINALLY a free Instant Messaging app for Windows Mobile. I actually found this last night reading Lifehacker and immediately installed it. 10 minutes later, I got my first IM from Rat down in Pittsburgh. It doesn’t appear to import your contact list but managing my very long contact list via such a small screen would be interesting to say the least. Still, people are able to IM me and it supports all the major IM services (AOL, Yahoo, MSN, ICQ and Jabber/Gtalk/XMPP).
- MSNBC.com Mobile – Even though they have a web presence, I actually like this app a lot. It makes reading the articles easier than navigating the web. Has all the NBC News video options as well.
- Live Search Mobile – Another app from Microsoft that I love. It has many of the same features the Google Maps and Yahoo! Go apps do but this one does exactly what it should; find places, let you call them and give you mapped out directions. I use it all the time and all over the country.
- Doom – What more needs to be said other than it runs and looks better than it did on the old 486 I started playing doom on 14 years ago.
- PocketNester – A Nintendo emulator that I found to be real nice and easy to use. You’ll have to do some searching for the ROMs of the games on your own.
That about does it and really covers everything I need from such a powerful phone that it doesn’t come with out of the box. You might wonder how I stay productive on the phone for everything else and for those things, I use the mobile web. I’ll post again soon with a list of must have mobile website bookmarks.
April 25th, 2007
Via New York Magazine: http://nymag.com/daily/food/2007/04/rock_star_recipes.html
April 9th, 2007
Two mighty albums released this year make a reference to Himmler…
The Shins – Australia
Dare to be one of us girl
Faced with the android’s conundrum
I felt like I should just cry
But nothing happens every time I take one on the chin
Yeah Himmler in your coat you don’t know how long I’ve been
Watching the lantern dim starved of oxygen
So give me your hand and let’s jump out the window
The Tragically Hip – World Container
There’s a world container with your name on it
and a billion ways to go berserk
when the country quits on you
it must be dinner
and the Himmler on this one is, there’s no dessert
(he’s the one who couldn’t imagine
all the people living life in peace, yoo hoo oo oo oo)
So why Himmler? Heinrich Himmler was a prominent member of the Nazi party and primarily responsible for the entire Holocaust (as organizer). The “Himmler” on his story is that the British captured him but committed suicide before he could be put on trial at Nuremberg.